I don't know about you, but winter really plays a number on my circadian rhythms. Instead of getting up early, I want to hibernate and wake up sometime in the late morning. I often don't really get going until the early afternoon, which inevitably leads to some very long nights.
The biggest problem with my newfound nocturnalism? The rest of the business world seems to be stuck on a normal schedule. Luckily, Hudson offers several options for those looking for fuel while burning the midnight oil.
Agave Kitchen is my personal favorite, especially when trying to impress visiting friends and family with a local favorite. The kitchen remains open until 1 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays and midnight on Sundays, and the food and service are excellent.
Though my fearless editor has a penchant for filet mignon sliders, I prefer to start my meal with an appetizer with a local fare, the Wisconsin sliders: grilled local bratwurst with a touch of sugar and spice in the form of caramelized onions and spicy mustard, drizzled with Swiss cheese and placed on a mini pretzel bun. It even comes with a side of kraut. The only problem with this appetizer is that it comes with three sliders, thus creating much chaos and commotion if you split it with just one other person.
A favorite dinner entree at Agave Kitchen is the chipotle tenderloin tacos. The beef tenderloin is seasoned and grilled to perfection and is served on corn tortillas with all the fixings: caramelized onions, rice, beans, guac, sour cream and salsa.
The gluten-free feature, sweet potato black bean enchiladas, is another excellent choice for its exquisite blend of flavors: black beans meet sweet potatoes and are accompanied by green chiles, garlic, lime, green enchilada sauce, jack cheese and corn tortillas.
Agave Kitchen also makes it easy to get your drink on, whether you're looking for beer on tap or a margarita—the most popular of which is the aptly-named Agave margarita, a blend of El Mayor Blanco Tequila (a crisp, unaged agave tequila) sweetened with agave nectar and shaken with fresh lime juice.
Agave Kitchen's Southwestern cuisine stands all on its own. The kitchen being open late is just an added bonus.
Food and Drink
Looking for another local option for sit-down food at late-night hours? Casual dining not limited to bar food, though with beer available as an option?
- Green Mill is an excellent St. Paul-based chain restaurant with delicious pizza, pasta dishes, burgers and other American fare and also serve alcohol. They are open until 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday and until midnight on Sundays.
- Buffalo Wild Wings has a nice selection of bar food including, of course, buffalo wings in various flavors. They also have a full bar, and remain open until 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday, and midnight on Sundays.
- Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar is a casual chain restaurant in Hudson, serving burgers, steaks, chicken and, of course, alcohol. They are open until midnight on Sundays and 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
Got a hankering for a burger and fries on a weekend night? You've got many options.
- Wendy's is open until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays—and the drive-through is open until 1 a.m.
- McDonald's is open until midnight seven days a week, with a drive-through open 24/7.
- Then there's Denny's, offering comfort food in a casual setting, with a $2, $4, $6 and $8 value menu. They are open 24 hours a day.
- Arby's is another choice if you've got a hankering for curly fries or roast beef. The restaurant is open until midnight daily, and the drive-through stays open until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Then, of course, Perkins is always open (24 hours a day) if you want late-night burgers, baked goods, omelets, pancakes, steaks or melts.
- Looking for fast food with a Tex-Mex flair? Taco Bell offers chalupas, burritos, tacos, gorditas, nachos and more—and they're open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 3 a.m. on Saturdays.
- And if you need to get your pizza fix in the wee morning hours, Domino's is a great choice since they're open until 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays and midnight Sunday-Thursday.